Re: (ET) Electric log splitter?

Here are your answers:

Mike Leech wrote:

> I'm developing a possible interest in supplementing the heating of my
> home with wood heat.
>
> I want to throw out a few questions about possible use of an electric
> log splitter.
>
> Is there such a thing?

YES

> How do they work?

the use an electric motor to move the hydraulic fluid

> Do they work well?

Pretty well - they are generally not as powerful as gas powered splitters

> Has anyone used one?

only on demo at a store

> Are there any units that are commercially available today?

yes, from Country Home Products, located in Vergennes Vermont
http://www.countryhomeproducts.com/
but I cannot locate the item on their web page - perhaps I'm being daft
right now.
they have two sizes, and the larger is quite suitable except for splitting
really large
pieces of elm or other really difficult to split wood

I believe that NORTHERN TOOL also carries a nearly identical model.

> Are there 36 volt units?

Nope, they run on AC, but an inverter is an easy option for an ET.