(ET) A Thread for discussion.

Hi
This is just a point for discussion or at least something for the more the
technical members of the list to ponder. I was cleaning up the motor
(literally baking soda water and a toothbrush). I noticed the obvious that,
the leads and the connections to the windings in the outer shell were
extremely heavy and come directly form the batteries. While  the leads to
external brushes and the connector are very fine. Obviously this means that
the power of the motor comes from the ability of the outer windings to spin
the armature and convert the electrical energy to mechanical energy and the
voltage and current are high so the wire etc are heavy. But, the wires to
the brushes are light so the voltage and current are low.
The point to ponder is what has GE done to this kind of motor to maximize
it's ability to convert DC electrical energy on rotational energy, and how
have they used the electrical side help with the Mechanical efficiency.

Geof Thompson B. Sc.
Data Management Engineer
Canadian Hydrographic Service
Central and Arctic Region