RE: (ET) another E12S running again...

Some answers...

-----Original Message-----
From: dave barden [mailto:daveb speakeasy org]
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 10:56 AM
To: Wayne Mosher
Cc: Kirkvg aol com; elec-trak cosmos5 phy tufts edu
Subject: (ET) another E12S running again...

> Hello all,

;    As much to our surprise as anyone's we (a friend of mine and I) got my
E12S
;running and mowing after replacing a relay, wrapping battery cable whose
insulation
;had been worn off when it rub against the motor pulley.

Congratulations.

;    The "fuel gauge" is not working.  Does anyone on the list have an
extra
they are
;willing to sell?

You can get the right one from Technical Services.

;    Also about the charger, does it have an auto shut-off?  Or do I need
keep an
;eye on the pack voltage to determine when to unplug?  The batteries are a
mix and of
;unknown age though fairly new.  It looks to me like two batteries are
tapped to run
;the 12v accessories and 3 batteries are tapped to run the mower lift.
That
leaves
;one battery at least that will be at a different state of charge.  Does it
do any
;good to rotate the batteries?  If so how often?

The charger is by TIMER.  The timer may die.  The period is LONG (18+
hours...).  Yes,
the tapping IS a problem; the last hours of charge is supposed to equalize.
I have yet
to buy a tractor (out of 5...) with a perfect charger.  One fix is to
trickle charge
pairs (or singles, if you have a 6V charger...) of batteries to start with
an equal mix.
Actually, the lift is more of a problem because I don't use the lights
much.
BTW, the
charger output should be in the 42+V (the book says 45) range or you won't
get a 'full
charge'.

;It was raining (in Seattle naturally) so we didn't mow much but sure had
fun running
;it back and forth in the garage.  I can't wait to get it out on the farm
where it can
;do some real work.  I was impress how quiet it is.  It seemed to me to be
quieter
;than a walk behind electric mower.

;Another question can I get ag tires for it?  Or anything that will give
better
;traction than the turf tires that are on it now?  What's a good source for
tires??

Yes, you can.  Ag tires don't help much unless you plan to work in loose
dirt, say plow
(you need a sleeve hitch to do that) or something.  The weight is so high
it
doesn't
add much for anything else.  Besides, garden tractors don't have enough
ground clearance
do much real field work, and the front tires dig in too easily.  You can
get
WIDER
front and rear tires and rims; the E12S typically has 8.5" wide rears, the
E15 (I think)
about 10.5.  The bolt pattern is standard, so I think you could get 12+
wide
tires.

;thanks,
;    dave barden