(ET) re: Greasing bearings

I suggest that if you go so far as to disassemble the motor to ?grease?
the bearings you are far better off simply replacing them. Very cheap
fix. I always prefer seals over shields and seem to get far longer life
from them.

If you are going to try and lube them I have had great results with a
synthetic gear lube (or Mobil 1 engine oil, the thicker the better) and
either working it in by puddling it on the shield surface and spinning
the bearing or if you can get a syringe from your local vet injecting it
past the seal or shield. I have gotten many extra years out of dried up
bearings using these methods. Even with new bearings I often inject a
few drops of synthetic oil past the seal. Manufacturers never seem to
use the more expensive lubes on the assembly line.

Personally I have seen WD-40  destroy bearings in a matter of days but I
have already expressed my findings on that subject.

Hope you all had a great 4th.

Jim

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/fiskfarm/GE-Wheelhorse.Elec-Trak.html
begin:vcard