(ET) Real work with E-16

I just got done with my E-16 third major experiment.  Most of the
problem this time was a lift strap that kept on breaking.  Twenty
five years of a cloth type strap better break by now.  After
procuring a nylon strap from our Outdoor store in Maynard MA , I
replaced the broken strap with the new one.  I also tried my blade
that I got from Oasis in NYS and WOW we!  Had one heck of a fun time
bulldozing 15 to 18 foot wide path by 120 feet of parking lot
leveling of the dirt and weeds.  I did remove the 132 volt battery
pack to install a Curtis 1205-211 Pulse Width Modulator with 125 Minute
battery pack, 6 volters.  I used a separate DPDT switch for reverse and
used the original microswitches for different power settings.  I
have an ampmeter in the field to monitor field current and kept
field current to 1.75 amperes most of the time.  I did want to see
what effect removing the field current did.  The tires on the rear
moved me to incredible speeds.  I kicked in the field and instantly
went to regular speed again.  As in instantly. Yes it skidded down
to maybe 2MPH, from I guess fast ah a real good running speed - 15
MPH?  I never though I would go back to 36 volts again but I now
like it with a new Curtis Chopper installed.  The Condo assoc
wouldn't get rid of poison IVY so I decided to bulldoze it down and
give the E-16 a much needed life test.  I charge the batteries every
night at 7-8 amps till I get a decent transformer.  I guess my old
E-16 transformer is acting goofy but some what working now. I have
my E-20 transformer but it too has its problems one being bare wires
on transformer. The tape on it dry rotted.
     The is a switch for boost on dash and I will use it for field
weakening like in owners manual.  The torque is more than adequately
for plowing weeds and small rocks in our yard.  I even took down a tree
with a 2 1/2 to maybe 3" diameter and many many hours a day  usage.
     This is my experimental platform tractor that I mainly use a 1
7/8" ball to pull trailer around condominium to water plants and
carry tools.   I been driving it with a flat tire and it finally cut
the rubber nearly off so I found our Toro / Wheelhorse dealer in
Maynard to order a new tire and tube.  Miss matched tires on front
but I sort of don't mind just as long as it gets the work done.
As for the speeds that I used, mainly low and D1.  I only used LL to
back into parking space and knock tree over.  D2 on the main road to
open it up to full speed.  It bounces too much on D2  with no field
current.  I will put a potentiometer to control it better later on.
     I ordered Fisher Yellow paint to re-paint the E-16 and hardener
to give it the hard finish like automobiles have on them.  I don't
have a color code chart to get original GE yellow and only have a
friends color brochure and it is a bright canary yellow.
     If everything goes like it has been going, I will re do my E-20
snowthrower with Curtis controller and do it the same way.  I do
love reliability but at the same time keep the old relay and
electronics of the olden days.  Really I need reliability more.  I
will put the Cruising equipment E-meter on my E-16 to put in what I
took out and know very very accurately how life is in my batteries.
         My computer is down and using a friends till mine get up so
my signature block is not there now but I have a S-10 102 volt pack,
a E-16 back to 36 volt with Curtis PWM and a stock E-20 snowthrower.

Russell
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.