Re: (ET) Paint Colour

Bruce and other ET folks,
        Por 15 is now available in colors, and I believe that yellow is
one of
them.  It is available in non UV resistant primers and UV resistant top
coats in several colors.  (The manufacturer is "Restomotive Laboritories"
I don't have a phone number, but they do have a web site that can be found
by searching either for POR 15 or Restomotive.)I tried POR 15 many years
ago and found that after 2 years it lifted.  Any porosity at all allowed
the acid to get through, and after your first bout with corrosion it is
almost impossible to coat the frame or battery box and get the coating
porosity free.
        I do recommend POR 15 for other steel restoritive work.  It has
worked
great on my cars, for both major rust repair and to touch up dings in the
paint that have started to rust.  And while normally you can't get normal
non urethane paint to stick to it, if you use it as a primer and apply some
touch up paint while the POR 15 is still tacky, the touch up paint really
bonds permanently to the POR 15 primer.
        My next major ET battery box repair will have me making a battery
box out
of fiberglass/polyester, fiberglass/epoxy, or 316 stainless steel.  I have
given up on long term fixes using coatings over the original steel.

Steve Naugler

--- Steven Naugler
--- snaugler earthlink net
--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.