Re: (ET) Tilling

Kirk, you wrote:

> Darryl, When I moved out to the country with my folks back in 1970 the
> house we bought came with a walk behind tiller with a corded electric
> motor on it. The previous owners had 3 different vegetable gardens
> totaling about 1/4 acre. While I don't know if that was the only tiller
> they used. We used it on about half that much space for a year or two. It
> worked fine although it would not work very well on sod or heavy packed
> soil. I remember it being very quiet compared to the gas one we also
> used.
> The old guy who had built it was a very creative person who built some
> incredible stuff. Unfortunately he passed away about 20 years ago. When
> the local electric enthusiast club in the area heard about the tiller
> they
> came out and were all excited about it and asked my dad to donate it to
> them for display purposes. That was back in about 1975 and I haven't seen
> it since. Sure wish I had it today. It sure would be nice to avoid the
> hassles you experienced with the i.c.e. type.     Kirk

Is the local electric enthusiast club still around?  It would be
interesting to track this beast down to serve as a model.  For
example, what make and model tiller was used as the base?
Chain or belt drive?  What size electric motor was used (and from
what original application)?  Failing finding this specific unit, can you
recall any of those details from memory, Kirk?

Darryl McMahon          48 Tarquin Crescent,
Econogics, Inc.         Nepean, Ontario K2H 8J8
 It's your planet.      Voice: (613)828-0805
 If you won't look      Fax:   (613)828-3199
 after it, who will?    http://www.econogics.com/