Re: (ET) Quick Question

My ET manual shows the E12/E15/E20 all with the same transaxle #2318.

There are only two brake designs that I know of for those tractors, the
original
and an upgrade (available from Bill Gunn) M-30.

Both designs are also shown in the Homeowners Service Manual pgs 1-24,25.

The Die-Cast Caliper brake (original design) had round brake pads, and the
mounting
bracket (two pieces) had two large holes (for the bolts and spacers) to
mount to the transaxle
and two smaller holes (both to the right of the large holes) to mount the
die-cast caliper brake.
The brake caliper was mounted sandwiched between the two brackets with
spacers on the
bolts to the transaxle.

I don't see any other holes on those brackets which are kinda 45 degree
shape.

The Steel Caliper brake (available from Bill as an M-30 upgrade kit with
all
required parts)
has more of a single rectangle shaped bracket.  It still has two holes to
mount to the transaxle, but
those bolts are much shorter than the Die-Cast tranny bolts.  This brake
caliper assembly has
much longer brake pads (better braking surface than the round pads above)
and a much better
looking brake actuator.  The Die-Cast brake has a actuator arm that has a
big bend pressed
into it, that acts like a cam when pulled and pulls the brake caliper
closed.

Brake adjustment on the Steel Caliper (M-30) appears more robust, by
disconnecting the clevis from the end of the brake linkage rod and rotating
one turn at a time.  Adjustment on the Die-Cast brake is accomplished by
tightening the nut on the brake caliper.

Don't see any connection of either brake bracket to the frame of a tractor.

Your design sounds like the Steel Caliper with only a single rectangular
bracket.

Hope this helps,

Monty McGraw

The original is shown in the