RE: (ET) Question on converting a lawn tractor to electric

Don,
I had an older 20 HP Bolens (yours is a 56" deck, not a 60"... 60" was
only on later tractors or those over 20HP) so I have a feel for what
you want to do.

The answer is, yes you could convert.  It has been done.  It isn't all
that
easy.  First, try to find a DC motor big enough to sort of work; give up
on
18 HP, if  you found 9HP that would be great.  More like 5 HP is more
likely.
A 5 HP DC motor will set you back as much as a used GE, but that's another
story.
Now you still have to worry about a battery pack to handle all that power.

The Bolens hydrostat has an efficiency of about 60%; not a good sign for
battery
life.  To keep the hydrostat up to pressure, you have to spin it at a
significant
fraction of it's normal RPM-- ALL THE TIME!  Yes, you could drive the deck
off the
same shaft.  All that power adds up.  Think about it; if GE had thought
that
they
could just put a motor in a normal tractor, deck and all, don't you think
they
would have done it?  Controls have gotten better since 1970, but motors
haven't.
With the 6 pack of batteries of the GE, I'll guess you would run the thing
down
in less than 1 hour on the Bolens load.  Can it be done?  Sure.  But it
would
work better with a mechanical transmission and belt drive, and still would
probably
cost more than a used GE.

Larry Elie