Re: (ET) E-12S

Darryl, Allan, Wombat, et al

    Thanks for all your repsonses.

    I just got off the phone with Bill Gunn.  As you all know he's
extremely
knowledgeable, helpful and best of all for me patient.

    If I understood him correctly some of the earlier E20's reversed the
field
as does my E12S and some of the later E12S's reversed the armature.  In any
case both methods were used at different times for the same models.

    I bought a relay and a varister on Bill's advice and probably will not
use
the $1.49 relay from Hosfelt.  I don't know what the varister does exactly
but
it sounds like a protection device of some sort that is susceptible to
aging
(weather and the elements) my impression is that it is cheap insurance for
your motor ($4.85).  Bill also offered this bit of advice which I'm sure
many
of you have heard or know already but I'd like to pass it on.  To
paraphrase
Bill:  ...first be sure to come to a complete stop before changing
directions.
Next be sure that the the relay energizes before the L contactor when
starting
to go backward and that the L contactor de-energizes before the relay when
going into forward.  His mantra to remember this was "Relay, first in last
out".  I hope I paraphased him correctly.  If someone thinks or knows that
didn't please say so!

    The way to insure the relay is first in and last out is with the little
arm below the direction/speed lever under the dash that can be bent.

    Before anyone tries this I strongly suggest you verify with Bill or
someone who has done it before.

thanks again,
    dave