Re: (ET) Re: group buying power

From:                   Allan <allanhv worldnet att net>

> It might even make sense for stuff like batteries.  If enough of us
> decided to get batteries, we might be able to convince a manufacturer to
> sell to the group directly, somehow.  Someone would have to handle the
> shipping nightmare, though.

I don't think the user community is big enough to support large enough
group buys of such big ticket items as mower decks to make it worthwhile.
 Besides, mower decks are the most common attachment on used ETs.

As for batteries, group purchase probably not necessary unless you live
in a real backwater.  Golf car batteries are a mass produced commodity
and there is enough competition to keep the price quite reasonable.

Make friends with a golf course mechanic.  He'll often steer you to his
supplier.  Even the prices people get at Sam's Club are actually quite
reasonable.

You are right, shipping is what knocks you down with batteries, unless
you are buying a bunch at a time.  That's why you're best off to deal
with a vendor who sells a lot of them -- like Sam's Club, or the dealer
that all the golf courses buy from.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1974 Honda Civic EV 96vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
NOTE: If you receive an email which exhorts you to "Send
this to everyone you know," you don't know me.