(ET) Re: group buying power

I read the responses in favor of using Bill Gunn / Technical Service for
parts,
and I would have to agree with them for repair parts.

However, I think you may have a good idea when it comes to new, big ticket
items, especially items which would have to be custom built.  For example,
I'm
concerned that my mower decks will not last much longer.  Maybe, as a
group, we
could buy enough decks at a time to make it worth someone's while to build
them.  This could work in Bill G.'s favor, too, since I think (hope) he
builds
new decks.  If he could get an order for, say, 10 decks at a time, it would
probably be cheaper for him to get the parts and build them.

It might even make sense for stuff like batteries.  If enough of us
decided to
get batteries, we might be able to convince a manufacturer to sell to the
group
directly, somehow.  Someone would have to handle the shipping nightmare,
though.

Has anyone looked into this before?  I need new batteries; maybe I'll
check it
out.

Food for thought.
Allan