RE: (ET) Hedge clippers?

I tried a 'universal motor' hedge-clipper (actually designed with
appropriate field at 110V AC of course) on the ET over the weekend.
BTW, a normal 2 pole AC plug can be easily forced into the rear accessory
plug of the ET so the check was pretty easy.  The clipper operated fine,
albeit at a much reduced speed.  For light use it would be OK.  For the
heavy-duty work I'm expecting, it would not be really good enough.

The solutions are manifold.  An inverter and a normal hedge-clipper.  A
real ET hedge-clipper.  Or I could re-wind the motor of a 110V
hedge-clipper.
The latter isn't as hard as it sounds; you can easily measure the
non-loaded

AC current.  You can easily check the wire gauge of the coil when it is
apart.  You can accurately measure the resistance of the coil, which will
tell you the overall length from which you can compute the number of turns
or
probably easier for most people just accurately count the number of turns
as

you take off the old wire.  The field in the motor is proportional to the
number
of turns of wire times the current.  You want to match the field at the
new
voltage.  There are tables of wire resistance, and you will end up with a
smaller number of turns of larger gauge wire at a higher current; the power
will
also end up the same.  The down side is the brushes and commutator may not
be
able to carry the increased current over a period of time.  This is all
time

consuming, but not at all impossible.  Still, I will try the other easier
approaches first.

Larry Elie