(ET) Transistor Motor Speed Control Uprade Possible?

I think a Curtis (or other brand) transistor motor speed controller could be adapted to the electric tractor without too much trouble. This would need to be the type for motors with a separately excited field, I think. The existing speed control lever could be used, with resistors to select different preset speeds. Or, it could just be used for forward/reverse selection along with a separate potentiometer throttle for infinately variable speed control. There would no longer be a need for the reverse relay, the field weakening relay, the field weakening resistor Card #3, the big resistor ribbons in the front of the tractor, and the L1 and L2 speed control solenoids. Card #1 may still be useful for the PTO control, etc.

This combination may work: Curtis 1244-54XX SepEx controller, 1307 programmer, and a potbox. You can see the spec sheet for the controller at http://www.curtisinst.com/datasheets/faxmasters/controllers/1244fax.pdf . You may need to fill out the registeration page to view the datasheets.

Rick Barnes

Aloha, Oregon