(ET) Batteries

In the past, I've tested batteries for capability by charging till they reach a maximum hygrometer reading for that battery. Charge at a low (10 - 15 amp) rate until reading stabilizes (stops rising).  This may be at 1.250+ (hurray) or more likely in the 1.1xx area.  Then make a load bank ( you can use auto headlight bulbs in parallel) of  50 to 75 amps and discharge.  Measure time to a fixed voltage around 5.2 volts.  This gives you a good idea of condition.

This could be either before or after cleaning and replacing acid.  Incidentally, old=timers used to "de-sulfate" by using a high voltage reverse pulse.  I don't know how they generated it.

Wombat