Re: (ET) Inverter/Chargers for electric tractors

Dan wrote:
One question, the Trace is kinda big (22" x 8" x 8" as I recall). >Where are you going to mount it?

Yes, it will be a tight fit under the E20 front hood above the batteries. The old charger and controller resistors will be removed.

I hope to hinge the inverter from the left side of the compartment to swing it out of the way for battery maintenance.

Dan wrote:
While I'm sure that this will work, aren't you sending those corrosive
fumes down and around the tractor where they can damage more things? In
other words, hydrogen is lighter than air and will rise naturally, if
you simply open the battery boxes when charging, you won't need to use
blowers.

This battery ventilation is highly recommended by some of the oldtimers on the EV list (Mike Brown and Shari Prange's EV Conversion book for instance). In colder climates, an insulated battery box improves battery capacity and higher temperature batteries accept more charge.

The acid mist given off during the final charge and equalization charge cycles is the most corrosive byproduct to the rest of the tractor. I hope to contain this mist inside the box (liner may be more accurate, since it is using the steel of the tractor for strength and containment). I will be welding a ring to the floor of the box to protect the edge of the hole in the tractor frame.

The blowers will dramatically reduce the hydrogen gas concentration.

Monty McGraw