Re: (ET) Inverter/Chargers for electric tractors

Monty McGraw wrote:

> I agree with Dan on the inverter.  After much searching, I picked the
> Trace
> DR1524 1500W AC inverter and 35Amp 24 volt battery charger.  I really
> would
> have liked a 1548, but they don't make it.
>
> I am still going to use 48volts (six T-875 Trojan 8V deep cycle batteries

Monty.

This is the same inverter and battery set up that I have. Because I
chose to design and build from scratch, I have the advantage of full
time 24v. A 3hp series wound motor and curtis control give me all the
power and speed that I need.

One question, the Trace is kinda big (22" x 8" x 8" as I recall). Where
are you going to mount it?

> Because of the corrosive fumes during battery charging, I will be plastic
> welding polyethylene enclosed battery boxes for front and rear with
> blowers
> powered by AC when charging, exhausting the air through the holes in the
> bottom of the boxes and main tractor chassis.  This has been done in full
> size EVs.

While I'm sure that this will work, aren't you sending those corrosive
fumes down and around the tractor where they can damage more things? In
other words, hydrogen is lighter than air and will rise naturally, if
you simply open the battery boxes when charging, you won't need to use
blowers.

Just a thought.

Dan