Re: (ET) CHARGER

I have seen both bad transformers and bad diodes. Since I had one charger
with
a bad transformer and the other with bad diodes, I swapped some parts and
got 1
working.

I my case, the transformer went bad on a hot day trying to charge batteries
which were really old and had at least 1 bad cell. I believe the
transformer
overheated, breaking down the insulation and resulting in a short on (I
think)
the secondary.

I removed both chargers from the tractors before trying to work on them.
In my
case (E16 / E20), it was easier to remove and test/fix than to try to reach
into the bottom of the foward battery compartment.

If you do decide to repair your charger, if you need parts, or if you want
replacement unit, you could contact Technical Services (608) 868-6220.

As far as the soldering, I used a pipe tourch to get enough heat fast
enough
without cooking the wiring and/or diodes. If you take this approach, be
extreemly careful not to overheat the wire and/or diodes. The faster you
(de)solder, the cooler the diodes and wire will stay. Try not to use any
more
heat than necessary to melt the solder. Also, be sure to use electrical
solder
(with rosen or no-clean core), not acid core (pipe) solder.