Re: (Fwd) Re: (ET) How do I change motor bearings

David,
    I have used the socket and hammer method before and I am sure I'll use
it again.  I recommend the use of a press, especially to someone whose
skill
I haven't judged in person, because a slip can dent a bearing race.  Then
you have a bearing that will be short lived even though it feels fine.
    Also, when using a socket, depending on how the socket is radiused, you
can press too hard on the seal or shield.  I have successfully used
sockets,
pipe nipples, bearing races off used bearings.  The key is that you must
avoid force on the outer race or seal.
    Lastly, a rubber mallet won't work unless the bearing is very loose;
you
actually need to have the shock you get with a metal hammer.  If the
bearing
is so loose that a rubber mallet works, I'd also use some blue Loctite
between the shaft and bearing ID.

    Now concering Eric's advice on using Loctite on the lower bearing OD as
it is inserted in the motor housing.  That is not a bad idea, but
personally
I don't do it unless the bearing bore in the housing is loose.  That is my
personal preference only, and subject to negotiation.
    In the upper bearing between the bearing OD and the housing, however, I
don't like Loctite.  Here the bearing sometimes has to slide longitudinally
for thermal reasons.  There may even be a wave washer to preload the
bearing
and push it toward the output shaft end.  Loctite would end the sliding.
Loctite between the shaft and bearing ID is OK for a loose bearing.

Steve Naugler