RE: (ET) newbie

These sound like valid points to me (for what that's worth). The
hydrostatic transmission is finned and has a fan on the drive pulley for
cooling. That means parasitic power losses given off as heat. The power
issue seems valid also for snowblowing. Any sources for cheap and/or used
5HP+ wound field or permag motors? Also, what is the general rule for
converting Amps or Watts to HP?

Since I already own the tractor and there is something wrong with the
engine I want to pursue this. Besides, my push mower isn't going to work
well for snow :)

Jeff,
    Here's my two cents on your conversion.
    1. I think  you'd be best served with a wound field or permag motor
which you could run as a single speed motor.
    2.  You may not be happy with the efficiency of the hydrostatic
transaxle.
    4.  Except for light use the 3 hp golf cart motor will probably be too
light..  So long as the batteries have excess capacity for the actual lawn
I mow, I'd
accept the losses in the hydrostatic transmission.  The only problem is
finding a good used cheap hydrostatic transmission and E15 motor.
    So good luck with however you do your conversion.

Steve Naugler