-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Elie <lelie ford com>
To: 'Chris Meier' <ChrisM pptvision com>; 'darrylmcmahon igs net'
<darrylmcmahon igs net>; 'elec-trak cosmos5 phy tufts edu'
<elec-trak cosmos5 phy tufts edu>; 'Hazen, Dwight L' <hazen indiana edu>
Cc: 'amirza indiana edu' <amirza indiana edu>; 'jnaab indiana edu'
<jnaab indiana edu>; 'plaue net66 com' <plaue net66 com>
Date: Monday, May 24, 1999 4:43 PM
Subject: RE: (ET) RE: EVLN(42v Li-ion ICE batt, mild hybrids: as an EV
forshort di stances)

>Dwight wrote;
>
>----------

is multi-company)
>and others testing the devices.  Yes, there will be 42V/12V systems soon,
and probably
>42V systems later.  Yes, the wires to the devices will be smaller/lighter
and will save some
>weight.  Now I will part the waves from what is normally believed; a 42
volt motor to drive a
>given torque at a given RPM will be essentially the same size and weight
>as
a 12 volt motor
>that drives the same torque and RPM.  Yes, the wires ARE smaller, but
>there
are more of
>them to get the new voltage drop.  The packing efficiency drops with the
smaller wire, and
>the package for the 'new' device is essentially the same.  That is not the
official Ford line,
>but it is the truth.  The torque and RPM are governed by the field, and
>for
all practical, efficient
>motors, that is limited by the product of how many turns of wire you have
times the current in
>each wire.  The wire size is determined by the voltage drop at the
operating temperature, which
>depends on how much current you can pass through the wire.  The fastest
>way
to reduce
>mass and size is to reduce air-gaps between the armature and the field
windings, but that
>depends on bearings and temperature ranges.  42 V will happen, but it
>isn't
a fantasia.  It will
>happen mainly to reduce the size/mass of the wiring harness going to each
device, and for the
>starter/alternator packages.  I know this goes against the popular press.
Sorry.