Re: (ET) E20 transmission noise & wiring questions

To James and other GE folks:  My comments are below.
----- Original Message -----
From: James Leuba 937-767-9976 <leuba cncrepair com>
To: <elec-trak cosmos5 phy tufts edu>
Sent: Sunday, May 09, 1999 10:21 PM
Subject: (ET) E20 transmission noise & wiring questions

> Dear List Readers:
>
> My E20's transmission is almost noisy enough to warrant wearing ear
> plugs.  The oil (90W) level is ok.  Is this noise normal?  Any
> suggestions to quiet down this transmission?  The noise sounds like gear
> noise.
The common failure on the Peerless transmission is the input shaft.  The
input shaft, which is not hardened, rides directly in a needle bearing.
When the transmission is old or if someone goes gorilla on the belt tension
the input shaft wears and no longer rides in its proper position.  If it is
that noisy, repair it before more damage is done.  As the Peerless
transmission (Peerless now owned by Tecumseh) was used in many no GE
tractors, transmissions and rebuild parts are available.  My local John
Deere dealer is also a Tecumseh/Peerless dealer.

> Under the mower deck are metal "bands" around each cutting blade.  I
> guess the bands are to direct cut grass.  Has anybody tried removing the
> bands to see if the deck cuts as well or better?  My hunch is that the
> bands bend tall grass over low enough that the blade misses cutting some
> grass.
My guess is that the grass will stand up to be cut despite the presence of
bands.  Remember that there are two chances to cut the grass as the deck
passes over your lawn.  I have converted my deck to side discharge.  With
heavier cutting I got clumps with the rear discharge that I don't get with
the side discharge.  There is a different band available for side discharge
that just bolts on.

> I re-wired the charger so you do not need the master switch on for the
> charger to work, will this cause any problems?
If you were to have a catastrophic failure of the charger it would be nice
to be able to disconnect the charger from the batteries.  That is probably
why GE did it that way in the first place.