(ET) DC motor theory, dynamic braking, regeneration

To:  My Elek-Trak co-conspirators
From:  Steve Naugler
Subject:  An unsolicited lecture on DC motor theory, dynamic braking, and regeneration.
    For any electrical engineers out there, this will be somewhat shallow, but it may help others on understanding speed control and braking of our DC motors.
    First lets define some variables:
N = shaft rpm
T = shaft torque
I = armature current
V = armature voltage
R = armature resistance
f = field strength
i = field current
v = field voltage
r = field resistance
rfw = field weakening resistance
k1 = constant1, etc
Vbatt = battery pack voltage = 36 V

    DC motor theory:
    A perfect DC motor without resistance will have the following relationships:
(1a)    N = k1 x V / f
(1b)    V = f x N / k1
    Here speed follows armature voltage if the field strength does not change, as in a permag motor.  Increase armature voltage, go faster.
(2a)    T = k2 x I x f    or
(2b)     I = T / (k2 x f)
    Here torque follows armature current if the field strength does not change, also as in a permag motor.  Work the motor harder, current draw will go up.

    Now we'll add armature resistance:
(3a)    N = k1 x (V - (I x R)) / f    or
(3b)    I = (V / R) - ((N x f) / (k1 x R))
    Plug equation (2b) into (3a)  and get eq (4).
(4)    N = k1 x (V - (T/(k2 x f)))
    This looks a little nasty, but notice here that for any given armature voltage V, when you load the motor increasing motor torque T, speed N goes down.  That is why when you drive your tractor uphill you slow down a little bit.
    Now we will control the field as in our traction motors.
(5)    f = k3 x i
    Plug equation (5) into (4) and get eq (6).
(6)    N = k1 x (V - (T/(k2 x k3 x i)))
    This looks worse, but let me generalize:  Armature voltage goes up, motor speed N goes up.  Torque T goes up, motor speed N goes down.  Field current i goes up, motor speed N goes down, or more importantly to owners of E15s and E20s, if field current i goes down, motor speed N goes up.  This downwardly adjustment of i is the essence of the field weakening circuitry in the large framed E15's and E20's.  In all speeds 4 and above, the fields are weakened and the motor speeds up.
    You might ask why we just don't control speed with field weaking.  More equations will give that answer.  Now we add armature resistance effects to the torque equation, which is just an algebraic rearrangement of equation (6).
(7)    T = k2 x k3 x i x (V -(N / k1))
    You can see that as field current i goes down, so does motor torque T.  Carried to an extreme your field weakened motor can get fairly wimpy.  So why not make field current i go up to make the motor torque T also go up.  Well, you run out of voltage.  Without a DC to DC converter your maximum field voltage v cannot exceed your battery voltage Vbatt.
(8a)    i = v / r    or
(8b)    i(max) = Vbatt / r    or
(8c)    i = Vbatt / (r + rfw)

    Now lets discuss dynamic braking.  Dynamic braking basically means that you brake the motor using electricity to do the work vs. mechanical braking which is done via a mechanical brake.  But how does it work.  Lets look again at equation (1a).
(1a)    N = k1 x V / f
    By shorting the armature leads together, V must = 0, so N must = O rpm.  Simple in concept, but obviously the motor can't stop instantly.  However my math is not up to the task demonstrating that clearly this Sunday.  You are, however, giving the motor a zero speed command.
    One final note about braking; the torque capability of a motor is still proportional to field strength even when braking.  In equation(2a)    T = k2 x I x f     you can see if field strength drops to 0, torque must also drop to 0.  That is why our tractor accessories with wound fields cannot have dynamic braking without rewiring to separately exciting the field with added wiring.

    Finally lets discuss regeneration.  Regeneration means that energy is reabsorbed by the motor and converted back to electricity usefully.  Let's look at equation (1b) and ignore resistances.
(1b)    V = f x N / k1
    Here you see that as rpm N goes up, so does voltage.  Increase speed N enough and armature voltage V exceeds the battery voltage of Vbatt and you will charge the battery.  How do you increase speed; only by applying a negative torque, i.e., make the motor a generator.  You can also see that increasing the field strength increases voltage output.  You see that in the E15s and E20s when you decrease motor speeds to speed 3 from any higher speed.  (Speeds 1 and 2 in all tractors use resistors in series with the armature and regeneration is harder to make happen.)

    Well that's enough for now.  I will follow with some AC motor theory because of a request on how braking might be applied to an inverter fed AC motor.

Steve Naugler