(ET) Re: surging, motor

If it is indeed shunt wound then dynamic braking is only possible
if you power the field separately from the armateur.

You could also install an electric brake that could be used to stop
the blower quickly in an emergency.

I used to work in safe guarding industrial machinery (punch presses,
press brakes, shears, etc.) so I take this safety stuff pretty
seriously.

michael