Re: N.O.S. Wheelhorse

"Pestka, Dennis J" <Dennis Pestka mkg com> wrote:

> On Saturday I picked up a Wheelhorse A-60 from a lamn mower dealer.
> This is a 1975 unit that is new. The batteries still have the paper
> seals on
> the caps.
> If anyone has one of these I would be like to here from you on
> performance,
> range, problems, etc. I don;t want to do anything stupid to this virgin
> unit.

Dennis, congratulations on a terrific find.  Do they have any more? <g>

Not know little about the Wheel Horse range, so someone please
correct any inaccurate statements I make here.

I take it the WH A-60 is equivalent to a GE E-8 or E-10.  As far as I
know, all the GE models came from the factory with 36 volt systems,
but the batteries differed.  The E-8 used 3 12v batteries, while the E-10
used 6 6v batteries of greater capacity.  The E-8's limited onboard
energy storage would suggest that it wouldn't have the capacity to
handle your 3 acres.  GE's literature rated it to mow only 1 to 1.25
acres; the E-10 was rated for twice that, still a bit low for you.

However (someone correct me if I am wrong), I think that you could fit
more modern batteries to an E-10 type tractor and get range equal to
the larger machines.  Trojan T-145 batteries (if they will fit) have about
40% more capacity than regular golf car batteries (and cost about 60%
more, alas).  Even T-125 types, which cost only a little more, will have
20% more capacity than the batteries fitted stock to the larger tractors.

You will probably want to replace the original batteries anyway.  If they
have been sitting all these years without maintenance charging, the
chances are they will be sulfated and have poor capacity.  All batteries
self-discharge over time, and sitting for long periods discharged will
ruin
a battery.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

     David Roden          THE VIRTUAL PD
     Services for radio broadcasters targeting educated adults
 Programming   Air talent development   Research   Classical music