Snowblower and transaxle response summary

Thanks to the folks who responded to my question.  I note that most
"reply to all" to make that happen).  So, I am summarizing the
archive).

The first snowblower question was:

  Can anyone suggest an appropriate lubricant for the chain?

Recommendations:

     - Any open gear and chain lubricant
     - Motorcycle chain lubricant
     - Spray-on chain lubricant
     - Used motor oil

Sounds like a visit to a motorcycle shop is in order.

Second question:

The snowblower has a remote-control handle ... Where is it attached
[to the tractor body]?

Later model snowblowers had a tube and rod fastened to the rear part
of the snowblower frame to hold the middle of the crank handle.  Earlier
ones did not have this, and most who own those models have some
kind of jig attached to the instrument panel to hold the crank.  My
snowblower is apparently in this latter category.  The simplest mount
would be an eyebolt threaded into the casting.  This is probably what I
will do.

Finally, a question about the transaxle.  I notice that mine produces an
odd surging effect in low-low.

Several people reported a similar effect when going downhill (and my
property is pretty much nothing but hills).  One said his "surges" once
when first starting up from a stop in LL.  With all these reports, my
guess is that it's pretty much typical behavior.

Most suggested checking the drive belt tension.  Two people
mentioned the possibility of transaxle input shaft bearing wear; one of
them said the shaft is not hardened and that long use could result in
some wear.  However it's a standard transaxle and repair parts are still
available.

I will recheck drive belt tension.  Otherwise, I probably won't worry very
much unless it gets a good lot worse.

Thanks again to all who responded.  I hope I can pass along some help
to someone else who needs it in the future.

     David Roden          THE VIRTUAL PD
     Services for radio broadcasters targeting educated adults
 Programming   Air talent development   Research   Classical music