Front lift and 12-volt batteries

Hello all,

Has anyone used 12-v batteries in an Elec-Trak?

I have a large quantity of 12-v group 24 deep cycle batteries, so I'd like
to use them in my tractor (rather than buying a set of golf car batteries).
 Group 24 are similar in footprint, a little narrower and about the same

If I used 6 of them connected in series-pararallel, they would have about
25% less capacity, which is not a problem for me.  What I'm concerned about
is running the front lift.  It's set up now for 18 volts, but with 6 12v
batteries I'd have to use either 12v or 24v on the lift.  I suspect that on
12v it would be too feeble.  Has anyone used 24v on the lift?

Thanks for your help!

     David Roden          THE VIRTUAL PD         roden ald net
     Services for radio broadcasters targeting educated adults
 Programming   Air talent development   Research   Classical music