Re: Campanophile and thousand pealers

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Alan Durfee <adurfee mtholyoke edu> wrote:
> I see that two people just did
> their 1000th peal--I don't know quite what to make of this
> achievement.

Over 400 people have rung a thousand or more peals. One, Colin Turner,
rang his 5000th about three years ago, and is halfway to the next spin
of the leftmost digit of his peal odometer. A further nine folks are
over 4000.

I'm not sure, but I think the first person to reach a thousand was
William Fussell in the 19th century.

At least two ringers have have rung their thousandth peals in the US,
though both were British ringers just visiting at the time.

--
Don Morrison <dfm ringing org>
"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and