The NAGCR

I want to encourage you strongly to join (or renew) -- and then be alert to the activities of -- the North American Guild of Change Ringers (NAGCR). Please read and respond to this message by September 15 so that you will be eligible to vote in this fall's election.

*Here's Why: Ringing in North America has changed significantly over its long history and is now in a particularly "interesting" time. New tower bell rings are being created at a rapid pace at the same time that we are losing many of our most skilled ringers to the depredations of age or the competing attractions of western "culture." This is means that in order for the "exercise" -- as it was historically known -- to remain vital on this side of the ocean, we need to step up our efforts to improve the skills of existing ringers, increase the number of active teachers and conductors, and attract more new ringers. Much of this work can be done locally, as it always has been, but many local groups are so "weak" -- either small in numbers of active ringers, or with few experienced ringers, or both -- that outside help is essential if they are to continuing ringing their bells. The NAGCR is well positioned to provide this help even though, in my opinion, it has been operating mainly as a social and honorific society (see my attached notes on the recent Annual General Meeting(AGM)). This year, we have two candidates for NAGCR office who intend to work to refocus the Guild on its future needs and to expend new levels of energy to increase the NACGR's efforts toward progressive promotion and support of ringing. (I would be more than happy to discuss this further with anyone -- just ask!) Sort of like John Kennedy said, it isn't a matter of what you will get now from joining the NAGCR, but what you can do for the critical, near term, future of ringing.

*Here's How:
1) Join the NAGCR *now,* if you don't already belong; renew your membership if you do already belong. The fee for "Students," "Over-65s," and "Additional" persons at the same address as a "Resident" member is $6 per year. Everybody else, called "Resident" members, pays $20 per year. Join or renew by responding to this email (to me, Dianne) and I will tell you how to proceed in your specific situation, as we are trying to cluster our membership renewal periods. (Don't worry, we will do all the work, just tell me that you want to join or renew and we'll go from there.)
2) Read "The Clapper" so you know what is, and isn't, going on.
3) Vote in the upcoming election.

Please reply by September 15, so I can get this all organized and get everybody eligible by the deadline. Thank you -- Dianne

Dianne S.P. Cermak
Area Representative, Boston MA
Treasurer, Advent Guild of Bell Ringers