Re: Ring Around charleston

I'd like to add my encouragement to Britt's. Greg and I attended this event a couple of years ago and found it to be everything one could hope for in a ringing weekend. Four participating towers, three of them within a few minutes walk of each other, make something for everyone available virtually all the time. The bells go well and are interestingly different from tower to tower. (A great situation for getting in a lot of rope time.) Charleston folks are very welcoming and accommodating, and there were loads of visitors from all over NA and a few notables from the UK as well. The meals were marvelous, and even the weather was perfect. We are definitely going again this year and hope we'll see others of you there as well. -- Dianne
Dianne S.P. Cermak
781-455-6334

On Jan 15, 2006, at 2:50 PM, Britt Hartenberger wrote:

Hi all,

I received this from Rosalie Crouch about next month's "Ring around
Charleston" event. Charleston is a beautiful city with four towers in
the area and very nice ringers. It is also bound to be warm there in
late February.

Hope some folks from this area can attend!

Britt

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:48:46 -0500
From: Rosalie Crouch <crouchrk musc edu>
Subject: Ring Around charleston

The Ring around Charleston event approaches and I do hope that you
and many from your tower are going to be able to join us. The dates
are February 24 to 26th.

We will be having sessions for all levels, from rounds to surprise
royal. We will be using all four towers in the Charleston area,
three of which are within walking distance. There will be at least
two session running concurrently are all times so there will be
plenty of ringing for all. Quarter peals will be scheduled as we
find out the preferences of those attending. There will be
opportunities to ring at all four towers for all levels. There will
be service ringing at all four churches.

We will also be offering special sessions. These are open to all
but please let us know when you register if you are interested in
one or more of the sessions so that we can arrange appropriate space.

1. Basic service conducting: call changes, quick touches of bob
doubles/bob triples - 1 hour class/1hour tower - Mike Schulte (for
anyone wanting to run service ringing sessions)
2. Conducting quarter peals: coursing order, selecting compositions,
putting folks right -1 hour class - Mike Schulte (for those who have
some conducting experience and want help in calling quarter peals)
3. Rope splicing - 1 hour class - Derek Sibson

The reception on Friday will be held with general ringing at Grace.
The dinner will be on Saturday evening. Both events, including wine
and beer, are covered in the registration fee of $50.
And, in addition to all this, Charleston is a beautiful city. Three
of the towers are located in the historic downtown section and the
fourth is on the barrier sea island, Sullivan's Island, next to a
historic fort . We will have tourist information on hand.

Do join us. Additional information can be found at
<http://www.gracechurchcharleston.org/music/bells.html

The Charleston Ringers

[Note, there is a registration form that I've deleted before
forwarding - please see the website or contact Rosalie for the pdf
form. - Britt]