Fwd: [QMatter Math/Phys Feb 23, Fri 10:00- 11:30 ET] Motoo Suzuki (Harvard) Spontaneously Broken (-1)-form symmetries - Harvard CMSA G10

https://cmsa.fas.harvard.edu/events-archive/category/quantum-matter-seminar/

-----
Time: Friday 10:00 - 11:30 am ET, Feb 23
Location: Harvard CMSA G10
Zoom: https://harvard.zoom.us/j/977347126
Password: cmsa
—————————————————————————————————

Motoo Suzuki (Harvard)

Title:
Spontaneously Broken (-1)-form symmetries

Abstract:
Spontaneous breaking of symmetries leads to universal phenomena. We
extend this notion to (−1)-form U(1) symmetries. The spontaneous
breaking is diagnosed by a dependence of the vacuum energy on a
constant background field θ, which can be probed by the topological
susceptibility. This leads to a reinterpretation of the Strong CP
problem as arising from a spontaneously broken instantonic symmetry in
QCD. We discuss how known solutions to the problem are unified in this
framework and explore some, so far unsuccessful, attempts to find new
solutions. I will also talk about our ongoing work on the explicit
breaking by monopoles.

--------
Subscribe to Harvard CMSA Quantum Matter and other seminar videos
(more to be uploaded):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0NRmB0fnLJQAnYwkpt9PN2PBKx4rvdup

Subscribe to Harvard CMSA seminar mailing list:
https://forms.gle/1ewa7KeP6BxBuBeRA

---
Harvard University CMSA,
20 Garden Street,