Fwd: [Strongly Correlated/High-Tc Superconductor Oct 28 Wed 10:30-12am ET] Patrick A Lee (MIT) The not-so-normal normal state of underdoped Cuprate on Harvard CMSA ZOOM 977347126

 In one hour!

https://cmsa.fas.harvard.edu/strongly-correlated-materials/

Wed 28 Oct 2020, 10:30-12 ET
Venue: 977347126
https://harvard.zoom.us/j/977347126
Password: cmsa

Speaker: Patrick A Lee (MIT)

Title: The not-so-normal normal state of underdoped Cuprate

Abstract:
The underdoped Cuprate exhibits a rich variety of unusual properties
that have been exposed after years of experimental investigations.
They include a pseudo-gap near the anti-nodal points and "Fermi arcs"
of gapless excitations, together with a variety of order such as
charge order, nematicity, and possibly loop currents and time reversal
and inversion breaking. I shall argue that by making a single
assumption of strong pair fluctuations at finite momentum (Pair
density wave), a unified description of this phenomenology is
possible. As an example, I will focus on a description of the ground
state that emerges when superconductivity is suppressed by a magnetic
field which supports small electron pockets. [Dai, Senthil, Lee, Phys
Rev B101, 064502 (2020)] There is some support for the pair density
wave hypothesis from STM data that found charge order at double the
usual wave-vector in the vicinity of vortices, as well as evidence for
a fragile form of superconductivity persisting to fields much above
Hc2. I shall suggest a more direct experimental probe of the proposed
fluctuating pair density wave.

---
Harvard University CMSA