Ali Yazdani, Colloquium: Spotting the elusive Majorana under the microscope, at Harvard University

Monday, 10/31/2016, 4:15pm

Harvard University
Physics Department
17 Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA 02318
Jefferson 250

Ali Yazdani, Class of 1909 Professor of Physics, Director of the Princeton Center for Complex Materials, Princeton University
"Loeb Colloquium in Physics: Spotting the elusive Majorana under the microscope"

Ettore Majorana famously considered that there may be fermions in nature that are their own antiparticle - and then he mysteriously disappeared just after proposing the idea in 1938. In recent years, we have learned how to engineer materials that harbor quasiparticles that behave as the fermions Majorana had envisioned. In this talk, I will describe how we can now create materials that harbor Majorana fermions and our unique ability to visualize them. I also will discuss how Majoranas in materials have exotic properties beyond just being their own antiparticles and their potential for creating a quantum computer.

Free and open to the public

https://www.physics.harvard.edu/node/703