BAPC - Calendar for the Week of Feb 23 - Revised

Sorry – slight error in the first thing I sent out.  As of now there are no Friday seminars (I know a late one will come next week).  I had accidentally included the one from last week.

Matt

Feb 23 – 27, 2015

THE BOSTON AREA PHYSICS CALENDAR

The Boston Area Physics Calendar is published weekly during the academic year by the Department of Physics at MIT.  Entries should be sent no later than 2:00 pm on the Wednesday proceeding the week of the actual event.

NOTE: Entries that are past the deadline will have to be sent by you to the BAPC late entry email address listed below.

ON-TIME submissions:  Send to
bapc-events cosmos phy tufts edu

LATE submissions:  Send to bapc-late cosmos phy tufts edu

Monday

11:00am

Monday, February 23, 2015

Brandeis University

String Theory Seminar

Abelson 307
"Quantum Extremal Surfaces"
Aron Wall
IAS

2:00 pm

Monday, February 23

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Center for Theoretical Physics, 6c-442 Cosman Seminar Room

Nuclear and Particle Theory Seminar

``The strong interaction at neutron-rich extremes and in dark matter detection"

Achim Schwenk, U. Darmstadt

2:00pm

Monday, February 23, 2015

Northeastern University

High Energy Colloquium

114 Dana Research Center

“Discovering New Particles after the Higgs”

Stefania Gori

Perimeter Institute, Waterloo, Ontario

Refreshments served at event.

2:00 pm

Monday, February 23, 2015

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Plasma Science and Fusion Center Seminar

Building NW14-1112

“Why we have solar panels but not (yet) fusion power”

Niek Lopes Cardozo

Eindhoven Technical University

4:15 p.m.

Monday, February 23, 2015

Harvard University

Department of Physics Colloquium

Jefferson 250

"Atom Interferometry Measurements in Fundamental Physics."

Holger Mueller

UCB

tea will be served in Jefferson 450 at 3:30 pm

http://www.physics.harvard.edu

4:00 p.m.

Monday February 23, 2015

Brown University
Department of Physics Colloquium

Barus & Holley room 168

"The physical genome"

Jané Kondev

Brandeis

Refreshments begin at 3:30

http://www.brown.edu/academics/physics/

Tuesday

2:30 pm

Tuesday, February 24

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Center for Theoretical Physics, 6c-442 Cosman Seminar Room

Joint Tufts/MIT Theory seminar

``From Condensed Matter to Cosmology: Axions and Inflatons in the Early Universe"

Chanda Precod-Weinstein, MIT

Refreshment served at 2:15pm

3:30 PM

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Boston University

Physics Colloquium

Metcalf Science Center, Room 109

590 Commonwealth Ave.

"A Rough View of Friction and Adhesion"

Mark Robbins

Johns Hopkins University

Refreshments served at 3 PM in 1st floor lounge

4:00pm

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Brandeis University

Martin Weiner Lecture Series

Physics Department Colloquium

Abelson 131
"Cellular Forces Measured and Controlled by
DNA-based Molecular Force Sensor & Modulator"
Xuefeng Wang

Wednesday

2:00pm

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Northeastern University

High Energy Colloquium

114 Dana Research Center

“The Rise and Fall of the Standard Model”

Brian Batell

CERN, Theory Division

Refreshments served at event.

3:00 PM

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Boston University

Particle and Fields Seminar

3 Cummington Mall, Room 595

"Soft Theorems from Effective Field Theory"

Andrew Larkoski

MIT

3:00pm

Wednesday, February 25

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Center for Theoretical Physics, 6c-442 Cosman Seminar Room

String Theory Seminar

``Supergravity, T-duality and Double Field Theory"

Eric Bergshoeff, U Groningen

3:00 pm

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Plasma Science and Fusion Center Seminar

Building NW14-1112

"Alpha channeling and lower hybrid current drive"

Nat Fisch

Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory

3:00 pm

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Harvard University

LPPC Seminar

Harvard LPPC, 18 Hammond St., Cambridge

"Lines and Excess and Dwarfs, Oh My! Dark Matter Searches and the Fermi-LAT Sky"

Regina Caputo

UCSC

4:00 pm
Wednesday, February 25, 2015
Physics Dept. U. Mass Lowell
Colloquium
Olsen 102
The Application of Nuclear Physics and Nuclear Policy throughout the DOE complex… and beyond

Dr. Parrish Staples
DOE
Refreshments at 3:30

4.00pm

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Boston College

Physics Colloquium Series

Higgins Hall, Room 310

The bridge between physics and chemistry: from tuning materials to exploring new compounds

Fazel Fallah Tafti

Princeton University

Thursday

11:00am

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Brandeis University

Special String Theory Seminar

Abelson 333
"Recent Developments in 3D Gravity"
Eric Bergshoeff
University of Groningen

1:00 pm

Thursday, Feb 26, 2015

University of Massachusetts Boston

Physics colloquium series

Science building, room 3-126

Jacob Khurgin

Electrical and Computer Engineering, Johns Hopkins U

"How small can one make a semiconductor laser?"

Refreshments served at 12:45

Questions: Maxim Olshanii (Olchanyi) <Maxim Olchanyi umb edu>

1:00pm

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Brandeis University

Martin Weiner Lecture Series

Special Physics Department Colloquium

Abelson 131
"Sculpting phase diagrams: freezing by heating, switchable crystals, and more"
Benjamin Rogers
Harvard University

2.00pm

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Boston College

Physics Seminar Series

Higgins Hall, Room 235

Spintronics with topological insulators

Takehito Yokoyama

Tokyo Institute of Technology

4:00pm

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Northeastern University

Physics Colloquium

114 Dana Research Center

“The Physical Genome”

Jané Kondev

Brandeis University

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

The David and Edith Harris Physics Colloquium Series

Building 10, Room 250

"Results from the AMS Experiment on the International Space Station"

Andrei Kounine

MIT

Refreshments @ 3:30 PM in 4-349
http://web.mit.edu/physics/events/colloquia.html