BAPC - Calendar for the Week of Sept 22

Apologies all – I sent this out this morning, only I sent it to BAPC Events and not announce.  Apparently I did the same thing last week.  Thankfully someone today finally asked me when I was going to start sending things out.  We are starting a process to try and automate all of this, so it’s very easy to do from a website.  More details later.

Apologies for today and last week.

Matt

Sept 22 – Sept 26, 2014

THE BOSTON AREA PHYSICS CALENDAR

The Boston Area Physics Calendar is published weekly during the academic year by the Department of Physics at MIT.  Entries should be sent no later than 2:00 pm on the Wednesday proceeding the week of the actual event.

NOTE: Entries that are past the deadline will have to be sent by you to the BAPC late entry email address listed below.

ON-TIME submissions:  Send to
bapc-events cosmos phy tufts edu

LATE submissions:  Send to bapc-late cosmos phy tufts edu

Monday

11:00 am
Monday, September 22, 2014
Brandeis University
String Theory Seminar
Abelson 307
"Explicitly Broken Supersymmetry with Exactly Massless Moduli"
Dan Freedman
MIT

2:00 pm

Monday, September 22

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Center of Theoretical Physics

Cosman Seminar Room 6c-442

Nuclear and Particle Theory Seminar ``Boosted Boson Tagging with Wavelets"

William Shepherd, UC Santa Cruz

Refreshment will be served

4:00 PM

Monday, September 22, 2014

Massachusetts Institute of Technology – Laboratory for Nuclear Science

Nuclear and Particle Physics Colloquium

Kolker Room, 26-414

Neutrinos, Front and Center! “Towards a New Understanding of the Quantum Universe”

Dr. Nigel Lockyer

Director of Fermilab

Refreshments served at 3:30 pm

http://web.mit.edu/lns/news/nuclear.html

4:00 p.m.

Monday September 22, 2014

Brown University
Department of Physics Colloquium

Barus & Holley room 168

"The Maps Inside Your Head"

Vijay Balasubramanian

UPenn

Refreshments begin at 3:30

http://www.brown.edu/academics/physics/

4:15 p.m.
Monday, September 22, 2014
Harvard University
Department of Physics Colloquium
Jefferson 250
“How Non-Abelian Gauge Fields and (maybe) Non-Abelian Particles Emerge in Solids.”
Joel Moore

UC, Berkeley
tea will be served in Jefferson 450 at 3:30 pm
http://www.physics.harvard.edu

Tuesday

12:00 PM

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Massachusetts Institute of Technology- Laboratory for Nuclear Science

LNS Lunchtime Seminar

Kolker Room, 26-414

“Short-baseline Oscillation Measurements with Electron Neutrinos at T2K"

Alexander Himmel

Duke University

Lunch served

http://web.mit.edu/lns/news/lunchtime.html

2:00 pm

Tuesday, 23 September 2014

Boston College

Physics Seminar

Higgins Hall, Room 235

"Fractionalization of crystal momentum and other quantum numbers"

Professor Michael Hermele

University of Colorado at Boulder

3:00pm
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
Northeastern University
Special Biophysics Seminar
114 Dana Research Center
“Exploring the Coordinated Functional and Folding Landscapes of Knotted Proteins”
Patricia Jennings

University of California, San Diego

Refreshments served at event.

3:30 PM

Tuesday, Sept. 23, 2014

Boston University

Physics Colloquium

Metcalf Science Center, Room 109

590 Commonwealth Ave.

"Microscale propulsion in biological and engineered systems"

Henry Fu

University of Nevada, Reno

Refreshments served at 3 PM in 1st floor lounge

Wednesday

11:00 am
Wednesday, September 24
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Plasma Science and Fusion Center Seminar
Building NW17-218
"Snowflake Divertor: how it works"
Dmitri Ryutov
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

3:00 pm

Wednesday, September 24

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Center for Theoretical Physics

String Theory Seminar

"4d N=2 BPS quivers and the absence of exotics conjecture"

Michele Del Zotto, Harvard

refreshments will be served

4:00 pm

Wednesday, September 24, 2014
Physics Dept. U. Mass Lowell Colloquium

Olsen Hall Room 102

"The Ionospheric Connection Explorer: Where Space Weather meets Earth’s Weather"

Dr. Thomas Immel
Berkeley

Refreshments at 3:30

4:00 pm

Wednesday, 24 September 2014

Boston College

Physics Colloquium

Higgins Hall, Room 310

"Phonon Transport and Thermodynamics Probed with Scattering Measurements and Computer Simulations"

Dr. Olivier Delaire

Materials Science and Technology Division

Oak Ridge National Laboratory

4:30 pm
Wednesday, September 24 , 2014
Optical Physics (ITAMP) & Harvard Quantum Optics Center (HQOC)
Harvard University
Joint Quantum Sciences Seminar
Jefferson 250, Harvard University, Department of Physics
"Photon-Mediated Interactions between Artificial Atoms in One Dimension: Quantum Optics with Superconducting Circuits"
Andreas Wallraff
ETH Zurich
Tea served at 4:00 after short student talk by Alex Sushkov

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/itamp/gcalendar.html

Thursday

12:30 PM

Thursday, Sept. 25, 2014

Boston University

Particle and Fields Seminar

3 Cummington Mall, Room 595

"Causality Constraints on Corrections to the Graviton Three-Point Coupling"

Alexander Zhiboedov

Harvard University

4:00 p.m.

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

The David and Edith Harris Physics Colloquium Series

Building 10, Room 250

“Do not all fix'd Bodies, when heated beyond a certain degree, emit Light and shine; and is not this Emission perform'd by the vibrating motions of their parts?" -- Sir Isaac Newton, The Third Book of Opticks, part I (1704).
Steven Johnson

MIT

Refreshments @ 3:30 PM in 4-349
http://web.mit.edu/physics/events/colloquia.html

Friday

2:00 pm

Friday, 26 September 2014

Boston College

Physics Seminar

Higgins Hall, Room 235

"At the interface between electron and hole-doped cuprates"

Prof. Marcel Hoek

University of Twente

3:00

Friday, September 26, 2014

Tufts University

Department of Physics & Astronomy

4 Colby Street

STC, Room 136

“Particle Physics in a Season of Change”

Chris Quigg

Fermi National Accelerator Lab

Refreshments will be served at 2:30 pm.