* BAPC - CALENDAR OF EVENTS FOR 11-07-05 to 11-11-05

THE BOSTON AREA PHYSICS CALENDAR

The Boston Area Physics Calendar is published weekly during the academic year by the Department of Physics at Harvard University.  Entries should reach us no later than 2:00 pm the Wednesday of the week preceding the week of the actual event.  NOTE: Entries that are past the deadline will have to be sent by you to the bapc late entry email address listed below.

On time entries send to: bapc-events cosmos phy tufts edu

Late entries send to: bapc-late cosmos phy tufts edu

Monday,  Nov 7th, 2005

2:00PM

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Nuclear and Particle Theory Seminar

Center for Theoretical Physics, Building NE25, Fourth Floor seminar room* ``Grassmannians, Dualities and Spin-Charge Separation in Yang-Mills"

Antti Niemi

University of Uppsala, Sweeden

Refreshments will be served *see our web page for directions to our new location

3:00 p.m.

Northeastern University

High Energy Seminar

114 Dana Research Center

"Neutrino Flavor Physics/Astrophysics at Los Alamos, Fermilab, and Antarctica"

Thomas J. Weiler

Vanderbilt University

Refreshments will be served

4:15 pm

Harvard University

Department of Physics

Jefferson 250

"Weak Random Wave Scattering Electrons in 2DEG Semiconductors and Freak Waves at Sea”

Eric Heller

Harvard University

tea will be served in Jefferson 450 at 3:30 pm

4:15p.m.

Harvard University Phenomenology seminar

Jefferson 453

"A brief history of time (abridged): Effective field theory approach to cosmological initial conditions"

Massimo Porrati

New York U.

* NOTE THE UNUSUAL DAY!

November 8, 2005

2:30pm

Tufts University

Joint Tufts/CFA/MIT Cosmology Seminar

Robinson 250

"The $\nu$MSM, Dark Matter and Baryon Asymmetry of the Universe"

Mikhail Shaposhnikov

Institute of Theoretical Physics, EPFL, Lausanne

Refreshments served at 2:00pm in Knipp Library, Room 251

4:00pm
Brandeis University
Martin Weiner Lecture Series, Physics Colloquium
Physics Building, Abelson 131
“21cm fluctuations: a new window for cosmology”
Professor Matias Zaldarriaga
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics and
Harvard University

4:00 p.m.

Northeastern University

CIRCS Seminar

"Dynamics of Cell Motility: Growing Networks and Flexible Membranes"

Wolfgang Losert

University of Maryland

Refreshments will be served

4:00 PM

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

MIT Astrophysics Colloquia – Fall 2005

Marlar Lounge 37-252

What Goes On in the Dark of Galaxy Halos?
Prof. Mary Putman
University of Michigan

http://web.mit.edu/astrophysics/colloq.html

7:00 p.m.: coffee, Tea, soft drinks, & cookies will be served

4:15 pm

Boston University

Mathematical Physics Seminar

111 Cummington Street, MCS Room 153

"The chiral de Rham complex on hyperkahler manifolds"

Maciej Szczesny

Boston University

Refreshments will be served at 4:00 pm

November 9, 2005

2:00PM

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

String/Gravity Theory Seminar

Center for Theoretical Physics, Building NE25, Fourth Floor seminar room*

``Circular loop operators in conformal field theories"

Nadav Drukker

Niels Bohr Institute

Refreshments will be served *see our web page for directions to our

new location

2:30 pm

*Theoretical Seminar: B&H 555

Brown University

"A Matter of Inertia: Mach 2"

Dr. Maulik Parikh

Columbia U

4:00 pm

Umass Lowell Colloquia

Olney 218

"Seeing the LITE"

Professor Kenneth Brecher

BU

Refreshments at 3:30 p.m.

4:30p.m.

Harvard University Joint Theory Seminar

Jefferson 453

"Cosmological structure evolution and CMB anisotropies in DGP braneworlds"

Sean Carroll

Chicago

Refreshments from 4pm

7:15 p.m.

MIT Lincoln Laboratory

Terahertz Systems Workshop

"Terahertz Technology in Outer and Inner Space "

Dr. Peter Siegel

Caltech (Beckman Institute), Pasadena, CA

7:00 p.m.: coffee, Tea, soft drinks, & cookies will be served

8:15 p.m.

MIT Lincoln Laboratory

Terahertz Systems Workshop

"Terahertz Quantum Cascade Lasers"

Prof. Qing Hu

EE & CS Dept, MIT, Cambridge, MA

7:00 p.m.: coffee, Tea, soft drinks, & cookies will be served

Thursday, November 10, 2005

12:00 PM

Harvard University

Condensed Matter Theory Seminar

Lyman 425

Hideaki Takayanagi

NTT Basic Research Laboratories

4:00 pm

Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics

CfA Colloquium Series Phillips Auditorium

60 Garden Street, Cambridge

"Mesolensing: Discovering Nearby Stellar Remnants and Low-Mass Dwarfs"

Rosanne Di Stefano

CfA/Tufts

tea and cookies at 3:30 p.m.

4:15 pm

Clark University

Physics Colloquium

Sackler Sciences Center, Room N-105

"Jamming of dense granular flows"

Professor Bulbul Chakraborty

Brandeis University

http://physics.clarku.edu/colloquium/

<http://physics.clarku.edu/colloquium/>

Friday, November 11, 2005

4:15 pm

Boston University

Mathematical Physics Seminar

111 Cummington Street, MCS Room 153

"Self-duality, helicity and higher-loop effective actions"

Gerald Dunne

University of Connecticut

Refreshments will be served at 4:00 pm