LATE BAPC NOTICE

Title: LATE BAPC NOTICE
The following MIT QIP seminar will take place on FRIDAY, Nov. 19 at 14:00 hours in room 4-153, and features:

Testing the Limits of Quantum Mechanics: Motivation, State of Play, and Prospects

by Anthony Leggett (Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)

ABSTRACT

I present the motivation for experiments which attempt to generate,and verify the existence of,quantum superpositions of two or more states which are by some reasonable criterion "macroscopically" distinct,and show that various a priori objections to this program made in the literature are flawed.I review the extent to which such experiments currently exist in the areas of free-space molecular diffraction,magnetic biomolecules, quantum optics and Josephson devices,and sketch possible future lines of development of the program.