[Assistant-faculty] Meeting with Speaker Tomorrow

If anyone would like to meet with Miles Blencowe after his colloquium tomorrow or join us for dinner, please let me know. The dinner will be at 5:30 at Tu Y Yo.

The abstract for his talk is:

According to a famous prediction of Hawking, black holes should radiate thermally at a temperature that is inversely
proportional to the mass of the black hole. However, predicted temperatures are so low for solar mass and larger black
holes that it is unlikely we shall be able to detect this radiation anytime soon. Remarkably, as first shown by Unruh, it
turns out that one can in principle mimic the Hawking radiation process using low-energy laboratory analogues. Example
analogue systems that have been considered involve the use of superfluids, bose condensates, and nonlinear optical fibres.
We describe a proposed analogue that uses a nonlinear superconducting microwave cavity comprising an array of
superconducting quantum interference devices (SQUIDS). As an inherently quantum coherent device, the SQUID array
also allows one to go beyond other proposals and explore the effect of analogue spacetime metric fluctuations on
Hawking radiation. Superconducting circuit analogues of other particle production processes from the vacuum are also briefly discussed.