[Assistant-faculty] FW: Summer Fringe Rates for Medford Campus

Friends,

Please see the message below from Leah McIntosh. In case you've forgotten,
last summer it was decided that faculty receiving summer salary from
grants would also receive retirement contributions on that salary.  For
faculty over 40, that means a 10% contribution from the University.
Because of this change, the benefits rate charged to grants on summer
salary was raised from the previous level of about 7% (which basically
covers Social Security and Medicare) to the standard staff rate of about
28%. Naturally, many of us complained loudly (the words "pitchforks,"
"torches," and "Ballou Hall" were uttered in the same sentence) that not
only was this a sudden and unexpected increase in the charges to existing
grants, but the University was giving us 10% with one hand and taking away
20% with the other.

To calm things down, the administration agreed to absorb the extra
benefits charges on existing grants last summer, but it was not clear what
would happen in the future, and new grant submissions were expected to
budget the full 28% or so for benefits on summer salary. I, and no doubt
other chairs, have periodically reminded Leah that a fairer solution was
needed.

The message below seems to indicate that the message got through. The new
benefit rate of about 17% is enough to cover the actual costs (SS +
Medicare + retirement contribution).

Please note that all of this pertains only to faculty summer salary. It
has nothing whatsoever to do with summer salary for graduate students,
postdocs, or staff.

Best,
Roger

Roger G. Tobin