[Assistant-faculty] Teaching preferences for AY 11-12

Dear Friends,

I know, we haven't even starting teaching our spring '11 classes yet. But you'd be surprised how soon the registrar starts asking for our course schedule for next Fall.  So I'm attaching a questionnaire asking for your preferences (or aversions) regarding teaching assignments for next academic year (Fall '11, Spring '12) -- including ideas for new courses or other curricular changes or innovations. As usual, we don't have a lot of wiggle room, but there might be some, and an idea you propose now might be able to come to fruition in a future year.

I'm asking that you return your requests to me, either on paper or via email, by Friday, Feb. 4. If I don't hear from you, I'll assume you're open to teaching any course.

Reminder:  As you're putting together your syllabus for this semester, please include departmental learning objectives addressed by your class, particularly if it is one taken by physics majors, and send a copy of the syllabus to Shannon. The learning objectives are.

  1. Ability to use mathematics to model, describe and analyze physical phenomena.
  2. Ability to use the experimental method to test theoretical predictions and investigate physical phenomena.
  3. Ability to communicate scientific information and ideas to both technical and general audiences.
  4. Ability to apply scientific concepts and principles in new contexts.
  5. Knowledge of the fundamental areas of physics:
    Mechanics
    Electricity and Magnetism
    Quantum Mechanics
    Thermal Physics
It is not expected than any class will address all of them. Just list the ones that are relevant to your class.

All the best,

Roger

begin:vcard
fn:Roger G. Tobin
n:Tobin;Roger G.
org:Tufts University;Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
adr;dom:;;4 Colby St.;Medford;MA;02155
email;internet:roger tobin tufts edu
title:Professor and Department Chair
tel;work:617-627-5461