[Postdocs-visitors] FW: THIS FRIDAY: 51st New England Complex Fluids Group at Tufts

From: Atherton, Timothy James
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:19 AM
To: Ricci, Milva; Intoppa, Jean; Frasso, Beth Ann; Polidora, Lorin; jadler3 gmail com; Coombes, Eileen M; Keevan, Anthony
Subject: THIS FRIDAY: 51st New England Complex Fluids Group at Tufts

Dear Department Managers and Administrators,

Could you forward the below notice and poster attachment to Faculty and Graduate students in your departments, please? This is the final reminder.

I'd also appreciate it if you'd cc me in your email just so I can check this got through.

Tim Atherton

======================

Dear Tufts Faculty and Graduate Students—

Does your research intersect with any of the following areas?—polymers / soft matter / liquid crystals / complex fluids / fluid dynamics / gels / colloids / drug delivery / photonics / imaging / biological materials

Are you a looking for a friendly place to give a short talk about your work in progress? Would you like to meet researchers from both Industry and the New England area to hear about how to build your career? (Graduate students incl. Masters students and Undergraduates warmly welcomed!)

If so then you may like to attend the  upcoming 51st New England Complex Fluid Group meeting which we are hosting for the first time ever at Tufts THIS WEEK on Friday, June 22nd. It is a great chance for people in the field of Complex Fluids and Soft Matter—interpreted very broadly to include the above areas—to see very recent research undertaken by scientists, engineers and mathematicians in the New England area.

We have five invited half-hour talks:

Tom Coolbaugh, ExxonMobil "The Value of Dispersants for Offshore Oil Spill Response"

Patrick Spicer, Proctor & Gamble "Design of Droplet Structure and Shape for Enhanced Delivery"

Cristian Staii, Tufts University "Mapping the cytoskeletal dynamics of neuronal cells via combined high resolution Atomic Force Microscopy and Fluorescence Microscopy"

Matt Hancock of the Broad Institute, "Fluid Stripes and Shaped Droplets for Gradient and Patterning Applications"

and also Christian Holtze of BASF who is flying in especially all the way from Germany.

An important objective of these meetings is to help the career development of students and post-docs by introducing them to the local academic and industrial research community. To achieve this, we will have two sessions consisting of very many FOUR minute "sound-bite" talks primarily intended for junior scientists to showcase their work in progress or most recent results.  If you'd like to give a sound-bite, please submit your talk title and abstract when you register for the meeting online at www.complexfluids.org. Since the format may be unfamiliar, I've uploaded two of my recent soundbite talks to YouTube which you can find at http://www.youtube.com/user/SoftMatterTheory

The meeting will take place in Pearson Chemistry Building Room 104. Breakfast and registration runs from 8:45 - 9:30 am. Online registration for the meeting is required at www.complexfluids.org and there is a small registration fee ($20) to cover the cost of catering which can be paid at registration in cash or by check (receipts for reimbursement will be provided at registration). In order to register for the meeting you do need to join NECFG—free!—but does take a few hours, so please register as soon as possible [if in doubt, please email me directly].

Please register by WEDNESDAY 8am, June 20th so we can make sure enough food is available for you.

Faculty—even if you're not able to attend please pass this on to your graduate students and undergraduate researchers.

I very much hope you'll be able to join us—this is a fantastic opportunity also to showcase some of the wonderful work that takes place at Tufts to the local scientific community. Even if you're only able to attend for part of the day please do feel free do so.

Tim Atherton

Assistant Professor of Physics

Tufts University

P.S. A poster is attached to this email which I invite you to print and post in your department.