[Postdocs-visitors] Reminder: Physics and Astronomy Colloquium today

Reminder:  Colloquium today

3:00 pm
Friday, April 8, 2011
Nelson Auditorium, Anderson Hall
Medford Campus
TUFTS UNIVERSITY
Physics and Astronomy Colloquium

"Single-molecule Science with a Nanopore: Inspiration from Nature"

Liviu Movileanu
Syracuse University

A nanopore may act as an amazingly versatile single-molecule probe that
can be employed to reveal several important features of nucleic acids and
proteins. The underlying principle of nanopore probe techniques is simple:
the application of a voltage bias across an electrically insulated
membrane enables the measurement of a tiny picoamp-scale transmembrane
current through a single hole of nanometer size, called a nanopore. Each
molecule, translocating through the nanopore, produces a distinctive
current blockade, the nature of which depends on its biophysical
properties as well as the molecule-nanopore interaction.
Such an approach proves to be quite powerful, because single small
molecules and biopolymers are examined at very high spatial and temporal
resolutions. I will discuss our recent work that provided a mechanistic
understanding of the forces that drive protein translocation through a
nanopore. These measurements facilitate the detection and exploration of
the conformational fluctuations of single molecules and the energetic
requirements for their transition from one state to another.
I will also describe our recent strategies for engineering new functional
nanopores, in organic and silicon-based materials, with properties that
are not encountered in nature. From a practical point of view, this
methodology shows promise for the integration of engineered nanopores into
nanofluidic devices, which would provide a new generation of research
tools in nanomedicine and high-throughput devices for molecular biomedical
diagnosis.

Refreshments served at 2:30 in Robinson Hall, Room 251