[Postdocs-visitors] Meeting with the colloquium speaker

Please let me know if you would like to meet with Prof. Movileanu, the
colloquium speaker for this Friday (title/abstract below). Thank you.

Cristian

 Single-molecule Science with A Nanopore:
Inspiration from Nature
Liviu Movileanu
Syracuse University
 A nanopore may act as an amazingly versatile single-molecule probe that
can be employed to reveal several important features of nucleic acids and
proteins. The underlying principle of nanopore probe techniques is simple:
the application of a voltage bias across an electrically insulated
membrane enables the measurement of a tiny picoamp-scale transmembrane
current through a single hole of nanometer size, called a nanopore. Each
molecule, translocating through the nanopore, produces a distinctive
current blockade, the nature of which depends on its biophysical
properties as well as the molecule-nanopore interaction.
 Such an approach proves to be quite powerful, because single small
molecules and biopolymers are examined at very high spatial and temporal
resolutions. I will discuss our recent work that provided a mechanistic
understanding of the forces that drive protein translocation through a
nanopore. These measurements facilitate the detection and exploration of
the conformational fluctuations of single molecules and the energetic
requirements for their transition from one state to another.
 I will also describe our recent strategies for engineering new functional
nanopores, in organic and silicon-based materials, with properties that
are not encountered in nature. From a practical point of view, this
methodology shows promise for the integration of engineered nanopores into
nanofluidic devices, which would provide a new generation of research
tools in nanomedicine and high-throughput devices for molecular biomedical
diagnosis.

Cristian Staii
Assistant Professor
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Tufts University,
Science and Technology (STC) Center, Room 209
Medford, MA 02155 USA
Phone: 617-627-5368

email: Cristian Staii tufts edu
https://wikis.uit.tufts.edu/confluence/display/CristianStaiiTuftsUniversity/Home