There is a Physics and Astronomy Colloquium today.  Please note it is at
the Science and Technology Center, Room 136 at 3:00 pm.

3:00 pm
Friday, March 4, 2011
TUFTS UNIVERSITY
Physics and Astronomy Colloquium
Science & Technology Center, Room 136
4 Colby St., Medford Campus
"What do the Students Need?"
David Hammer
Tufts University
The instruction we offer students, at any level, presumably reflects what
we believe will help them understand physics.  But we don't often subject
our beliefs to scrutiny.  Most physics instructors work from common sense
assumptions about what students need-clear explanations, demonstrations,
motivation and practice.  As in physics, however, common sense ideas (e.g.
'objects move because they are pushed') aren't always correct.  I will
present evidence that these usual assumptions are insufficient and offer
an expanded set of possibilities, focusing in particular on how students
understand knowledge and learning.  In some cases what students most need
is help taking a different approach to learning, a "refinement of everyday
thinking" (Einstein, 1936) rather than a reception of information.
Refreshments served at 2:30 in STC, Room 124