If we are just going to show students an image that the telescope took while no one was looking - I  would just as well (maybe preferably) go to Astronomy Picture of the Day.  We have done evening viewing here as part of an astronomy course and students show up in droves.  The whole point is to put away the phones and have the experience of eyeballing photons that have traveled for millions of miles.  Seeing the moons of Jupiter or rings of Saturn for real in a telescope - much cooler than seeing a picture.  It does not have to be the Ring Nebula.

If teachers are willing to set up viewing nights - I think optical telescopes (with computer tracking) is the way to go.  We have a couple of Celestrons here that work just fine.

Mike

On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 11:01 AM Ken Olum <kdo cosmos phy tufts edu> wrote:
   Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 17:26:09 +0000
   From: "Taylor, Tomasz via PhysicsTheoryNet" <physicstheorynet cosmos phy tufts edu>

   Personally (TT) I think that the simplest way to expose students
   to astronomy is by a high quality optical, portable telescope. But I
   have no idea how to set up recordings. Students would set it up during
   class hour and then watch what was observed on the following day.

   Is it a good idea? In a typical high school, is there a room from where
   overnight observations could be made, and the telescope would be safe?
   If yes, what equipment is required? Let’s brainstorm.

I can't speak to the reality of a high school class, but this seems
problematic to me.  It would require a place outside that could be
locked up, and unexpected weather could be a problem.  (Really the best
plan for this would be a permanent installation with a motorized cover
to keep out rain and snow.  But we know that this is exactly the kind of
thing that NSF will not pay for.)

Recording overnight is also one more step away from looking at the
stars.

I guess one plan would be to give the telescope to one student to take
home and set up.  You could then have a distributed "star night" with
other students looking at images on their phones and perhaps controlling
the telescope remotely.  At least one student would have the experience
of going outside and setting up a telescope.  Theft would not be a
problem, though there's always the possibility that the student would
damage the telescope.

I still think it might be best to have an astronomy night where those
who are interested can go outside and actually look through a telescope.

                                        Ken