Minutes, Physics Theorynet meeting, January 20, 2018

Physics Theorynet Meeting, January 20. 2018

Room 218 Dana Building, Northeastern University

MINUTES

--------

Attending:

Nancy Najmi, Reading Memorial H.S.

Ken Olum, Tufts University

Russell Sears, Cohasset H.S.

Chris Siren, Groton-Dunstable Regional HS

Tomasz Taylor, Northeastern University

Mike Wadness, Medford HS

Regrets:

Elaine Picard, Concord-Carlisle H.S.

John Samperisi, Monadnock H.S.

Daniel Donovan, Andover H.S.

Matthew Headrick, Brandeis University

Michael Hirsh, Needham H.S.

Scott Goelzer, Coe-Brown Northwood Academy

Jim Halverson, Northeastern University

John Jannetti, Andover H.S.

Liam Fitzpatrick, Boston University

Brent Nelson, Northeastern University

Per Berglund, University of New Hampshire

Jesse Thaler, MIT

A. Visits and Recollections.

We had a very active season of visits in the Fall. To list just a few: Nancy hosted Ken in Reading, where he stayed for 5 periods; Tom spent whole day in Andover  visiting Dan’s classes, talking about elementary particles and  connections between LHC experiments and early Universe; Matt visited Chris’ classes in Groton-Dunstable, talking about General Relativity and gravitational waves. More visits are scheduled for the Spring.

B. Equipment

We have a self-explanatory google doc spreadsheet with the list of equipment available and contact information. If you are interested in one of demos, please contact the person who is presently in its possession:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zAr4-ZKl-HZ4mb7rusyTPufQM0Cnk4GIRWEIMy3Nrvo/edit?usp=sharing

In addition, we have here at Northeastern one more diffusion cloud chamber and the photoelectric effect experiment:

http://www.pasco.com/prodCompare/photoelectric-effect-system/index.cfm

It is still in boxes, so we are looking for a volunteer to test it. Please get in touch with Tom or Brent to arrange transfer.

We are also planning to purchase an infrared camera. Please let us know what you think about

https://www.pasco.com/prodCatalog/SE/SE-7128_flir-infrared-camera/index.cfm

C. Pairings

Two physicists from UM Lowell, Nishant Agarwal and Archana Kamal, expressed interest in visiting high schools. We are looking forward to meeting them at the Spring meeting, to be held sometime in May.