Minutes Theorynet Meeting September 26, 2015

Physics Theorynet Meeting, September 26, 2015

Room 218 Dana Building, Northeastern University

MINUTES

--------

Attending:
Nivedi Das, Sharon H.S.
Rick Dower, Roxbury Latin School
Jim Halverson, Northeastern University
Matthew Headrick, Brandeis University
Michael Hirsh, Needham H.S.
Nancy Najmi, Reading Memorial HS
Nick Nicastro, Wachusett Regional HS
Elaine Picard, Concord-Carlisle H.S.
Russell Sears, Cohasset H.S.
Chris Siren, Groton-Dunstable Regional HS
Tomasz Taylor, Northeastern University
Mike Wadness, Medford HS

Regrets:
Ken Olum, Tufts University
Brent Nelson, Northeastern University
Richard Levergood, Londonderry HS
Scott Goelzer, Coe-Brown Northwood Academy
Per Berglund, University of New Hampshire
Jesse Thaler, MIT
Daniel Jafferis, Harvard University
Matt Reece, Harvard University

A. Introductions.

We welcome Jim Halverson, who joined Northeastern this fall as Assistant Professor in elementary particle theory. There is a whole group of new postdocs and faculty moving into the area who may be interested in outreach activities. After the meeting, we contacted Phiala Shanahan, a new postdoc at MIT and Jiji Fan, who just joined Brown University as Assistant Professor. Both are particle theorists and expressed interest in visiting schools. Actually, Phiala participated in a similar project called "Scientists in Schools" back home in Australia. We are looking forward to meeting them in person at the next meeting in January.

B. Record-keeping

When writing the "outcomes" report for the last NSF grant period, we realized that our estimate of 5,000 students reached over 3 years was based on verbal records. We need a better recording. Maybe the best way is to send Tom a short email after each visit, with the number of students and if you also include some post-visit comments or questionnaires, it would be absolutely great.

C. Equipment
In order to keep track and simplify transferring demo equipment, Jim Halverson created a self-explanatory google doc spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zAr4-ZKl-HZ4mb7rusyTPufQM0Cnk4GIRWEIMy3Nrvo/edit?usp=sharing

Please fill in your present equipment. If you have any comments about the doc, please contact Jim directly.
There was a consensus that following demos should be purchased: second helmholtz, cavendish, and possibly a modern photoelectric effect system. After the meeting, we found on PASCo website:

http://www.pasco.com/prodCompare/photoelectric-effect-system/index.cfm

Please have a look and send email Tom with your opinion if it's worth money.

D. Pairings

Nivedi Das -- Jiji Fan
Rick Dower -- Matt Headrick
Mike Hirsh -- Jim Halverson
Nancy Najmi -- Phiala Shanahan
Nick Nicastro -- Tom Taylor
Russ Sears -- Tom Taylor
Chris Siren -- Brent Nelson
Elaine Picard -- Jesse Thaler
Rich Levergood -- Ken Olum
Scott Goelzer -- Per Berglund
Mike Wadness -- Daniel Jafferis

E. Next Meeting is scheduled for January 23, 2016.