satellite tv reception

Greetings all,
I have a question which I hope can be answered by someone out there whose
knowledge of electro-magnetism is greater than mine.  I have an on-going
argument with a student about the affect that trees have on satellite tv
reception...

My position is that since satellite broadcast is just EM waves, wood (i.e.
trees) should be transparent to them, as it is with AM, FM, regular tv,
and cellphone transmissions.

After looking at a few websites discussing the subject, however, it would
seem that most advise that trees CAN block or reduce satellite reception.

WHY?

After a small amount of research I found that most satellite tv broadcast
is in the 10's of GHz.  Shouldn't this be a HIGHER energy wave (i.e. E=hf)
with more penetrating power (like x-rays)?

Any info regarding this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
--(A confused) Scott Carlson
Gloucester H.S.

Sent via the WebMail system at gloucester.k12.ma.us