Re: GK-12 NSF grants

I think that it is safe to assume that there will be at least one student
interested from each college. I suggest looking at
http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=5472&from=fund
from where you can follow to "Abstracts of Recent Awards..." link to get
some
inspiration  (by the way they are .4 M$/year on the average). I see some
really fascinating ideas, like in "Advancing Geospatial Skills...." which
go
far beyond a graduate students assisting teacher's class.  I am sure that
we
can get many good ideas by carefully reading these abstracts.

There is lots of emphasis on the "professional development" of teachers. I
just want to make it clear that the participating teachers, in addition to
4.5K/year stipend, are also entitled to additional allowances towards
professional development. By the way, students' 30-40K$/year includes
tuition, so they end up with more or less the same net monthly stipends as
other TA's supported in more traditional ways.
Please make effort to come up with creative ideas. It's really worth it:
teachers' careers could get a big boost, physicists could bring lots of TA
money to their institutions etc...
Best regards,
Tom