Fwd: [wff-discuss] A 'Choice' of Gender and Bias

Some more on designer babies:

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A18040-2004Dec21.html>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A18040-2004Dec21.html

washingtonpost.com
A 'Choice' of Gender and Bias

Wednesday, December 22, 2004; Page A26

Sex selection for nonmedical purposes isn't a "choice," as indicated by the headline on Rob Stein's Dec. 14 front-page article, "A Boy for You, a Girl for Me: Technology Allows Choice." It is discrimination.

The couple profiled in the article want a boy to work in the family company. Apparently, their girls are unsuitable business partners and only a boy will do. This is sex discrimination and social engineering of bias. As we work to prevent sex discrimination in the workplace, we also should be concerned about sex discrimination in who gets to be born.

Many nations have banned sex selection for nonmedical purposes. If the United States does not, we will have market-driven eugenics for the profit of a few corporations. If we can discriminate about the gender of children, it becomes easier to justify other kinds of genetic discrimination.

We all want to have happy and healthy children, but a few fertility laboratories are trying to create a market for children as commodities.

JAYDEE HANSON

Director for Human Genetics Policy

International Center for Technology Assessment

Washington

© 2004 The Washington Post Company
The item above is being distributed as a free, non-profit informational service to a limited number of individuals who have expressed interest in this topic for educational and research purposes only. Please do not redistribute or post copyrighted material anyplace on the Internet accessible to the public without attribution and permission from the author. Please note that distribution of this item does not necessarily constitute endorsement of the content; in fact, often items are distributed as "opposition research."